RealityMine, the global leader in passive metering technology, today announced the release of TouchPoints USA 2017.1. The study passively tracks digital device usage on individuals aged 18-64 to better understand how TV, digital, mobile, radio, PC, game console, over-the-top (OTT) video viewing and other behaviours interact – supplying context to media behaviour throughout the day.
RealityMine combines the information gathered through its market leading RealityMeter passive metering software with diary-based data to create TouchPoints. This methodology integrates the emotional states of consumers, as well as how these emotions affect purchase decisions through passive behavioural data.
Highlights from the findings include:
Weekly Netflix Viewership
- 120 million Americans aged 18-64 report viewing Netflix content each week, with 30% viewing content on an average day.
- The average Netflix viewer reports watching 7.6 hours of content each week.
- 82% of Netflix content is viewed via television, 11% via computer and 3% via tablet.
- Compared to conventional television viewing, Netflix viewers are 42% more likely to be amused and 17% more likely to be relaxed.
Mobile Payment Systems Usage
- 34% of participants report weekly use of a mobile payment system, with PayPal being most popular among users (18%), followed by the Starbucks mobile app (7%) and Visa Checkout (5%).
- The Starbucks mobile app is twice as likely to be used on an average weekday than either day of the weekend.
Weekly Workplace Activities
- 63% of adults report weekly use of social media on their mobile phones or workplace computers during working hours.
- 44% report shopping online while at work.
- 3% report taking a nap while at work.
Purchase Consideration in an Average Week
- 76% of Americans report thinking about future grocery purchases.
- 60% of Americans report considering future fast food purchases, while even more people (67%) actually make such a purchase.
- More Americans consider future fashion and apparel purchases (44%) than home and garden purchases (36%).
- 30% of the population consider attending a movie.
Locations Visited in an Average Week
- Restaurants and bars are slightly more commonly visited (49%) than fast food venues (47%).
- 30% of Americans report visiting a medical facility.
- 17% of Americans report visiting a gym or health club, while the same percentage report visiting a mall.
- 12% report visiting an entertainment venue.
The data collected via RealityMine’s TouchPoints USA 2017.1 survey is available to customers via third-party platforms such as Nielsen IMS, Telmar and MRI Reporter.
RealityMine is the global technology leader for high quality passive research, enabling our clients to reveal unique insights from real life consumer behaviour. RealityMine enables some of the world’s largest market research and media organisations to track real consumers on multiple devices, across all major platforms, providing a holistic view of consumers’ daily lives. All this from a single source — an individual person.
RealityMeter is the world’s leading passive metering technology, and is deployed by the most innovative market research agencies across five continents. RealityMine is headquartered in Manchester, England with international offices in Toronto, New York and Sydney, and serves clients globally.
To learn more about how RealityMeter can be used on a customised basis, please contact email@example.com.
TouchPoints is a unique consumer-centric, multi-media business solution designed to provide insight into how people use all media types throughout their day. It is the only syndicated consumer insights and cross-platform research product for media researchers designed to inform integrated communications strategy, planning and execution.
 All data are weekly reach among Americans 18-64 years of age from the TouchPoints USA 2017.1 / Fall 2016 GfK MRI fusion.