The Data Scientist is responsible for helping to build new data products, and improving data quality in a fast growing SME that specialises in big data acquisition and analytics.
This is an excellent opportunity to further develop statistical, programming, big data and business skills in a dynamic startup environment, while making a real contribution to getting new data products ready for market.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Working as part of a data science team that performs:
- Processing and manipulation of large and complex datasets.
- Validation and improvement of existing practices in data quality and methodology (e.g. statistical reporting on survey design, research meta-analyses over a variety of data sources and types, and design and analysis of pilot studies (A-B testing)).
- Advanced analytics to extract meaningful information and generate new insights from big data (e.g. predictive modelling / machine learning, exploratory data analysis, and social media mining / sentiment analysis).
Required Skills and Experience
Essential to have:
- Some programming experience, ideally in R and/or Python.
- Experience in statistics (predictive modelling, inference, exploratory data analysis, experimental design) and some exposure to statistical packages (R, SPSS, Stata, SAS etc.).
- Attention to detail.
- Good time management and organisational skills.
- Keen to discover, learn, test and implement new data science methodologies.
- Good interpersonal skills, bright attitude, willing to help other members of the team.
Preferable to have:
- SQL Database experience.
- Experience in working with large, complex datasets.
- Linux / bash scripting.
- Experience in advanced data processing, analysis and visualisation tools (e.g. dplyr, ggplot2, Pandas).
- Knowledge of common statistical models and/or machine learning algorithms.
- Knowledge of big data analytics frameworks (Spark, Hadoop etc.).
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Salary: Dependent on Experience